OPEN POSITION: PUBLICITY DIRECTOR
Milkweed Editions, one of the nation’s leading independent book publishers, seeks a Publicity Director. Our offices are located in the Open Book literary center in downtown Minneapolis. For more information, visit milkweed.org/our-story.
Milkweed Editions is experiencing a time of exceptional growth and looking to expand our creative, dedicated team of 14 collaborative thinkers. We deeply value our mission to publish transformative books and build community. We are seeking an individual who similarly values transformative literature and is energized by developing innovative publicity campaigns that expand readership.
The Publicity Director works closely with the Publisher, Vice President, Engagement & Chief Innovation Officer, and the Marketing Director as well as across the entire organization to build integrated publicity strategies, and provide leadership in amplifying the impact of Milkweed Editions.
In addition to promoting the 30 new books we publish each year, the Publicity Director will develop innovative campaigns to elevate backlist titles and our two literary series, Seedbank and Multiverse, in the marketplace. Through expansive strategy and a deep knowledge of the literary landscape, the Publicity Director will build reputation and increase brand awareness through earned media and an awards strategy. Unique to Milkweed Editions, this role will also collaborate with our bookstore team to enhance community engagement through an events program.
- Leads overarching publicity strategy for titles and brand
- Develops innovative publicity campaigns to support all new titles
- Leads publicity campaigns for major titles and delegates campaigns to Publicist
- Develops innovative publicity strategies and campaigns to elevate the Milkweed Editions brand and reputation
- Builds and fosters relationships with prominent individuals and influencers at major media outlets and other cultural institutions
- Expands media lists to include nontraditional outlets, including influencers, podcasts, and TV/broadcast contacts
- Leads social media strategy across channels
- Oversees all author tours, festival and media appearances
- Leads and manages strategic implementation of human and financial resources
Ideal candidates will have at least five years of experience working in book publicity and literary event planning, as well as management experience. The Publicity Director will lead publicity and brand innovation at Milkweed Editions at a moment when the press is growing its list, readership and impact, and ideal candidates should include examples of expansive, creative, and collaborative strategies they’ve developed and implemented. Relationship building and a highly collaborative workstyle are integral to this position and deeply valued at Milkweed Editions both within our organization and across the field; here, too, ideal candidates should include examples of their approach to fostering relationships across literary and nonprofit communities.
Preferred skills and experience:
- At least 5 years of experience in book publicity and literary event planning
- At least 3 years of management experience
- Proven innovative and expansive approach to publicity strategy
- Strong relationship-building skills across authors, media, influencers, and key literary stakeholders, and a robust existing network of media and influential contacts
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of environmental literature, poetry, world literature, works in translation, creative nonfiction, and literary fiction
- Strong, thoughtful writing skills, including writing social media content
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to lead, manage, multitask, meet deadlines, and balance a variety of priorities at once
- Knowledge of PR database tools and PR data entry
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. Salary: $75-85K, depending on experience. This position is based in Minneapolis. We are not accepting remote applications. If you currently live outside of the Twin Cities, please indicate your interest in relocation.
Please submit a resume, three references, and a cover letter addressed to Katie Hill in one combined PDF via Submittable. Applications are being considered on a rolling basis.
Your cover letter should express your interest in this position and how it aligns with your professional goals, as well as the examples mentioned above. Please keep your letter to one or two pages maximum. No emails or phone calls, please.
It is the policy of Milkweed Editions to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a disabled veteran, status with regard to public assistance, or any other protected class recognized by applicable laws.