Milkweed Editions, one of the nation’s leading independent book publishers, seeks a Publicist. Our offices are located in the Open Book literary center in downtown Minneapolis. For more information, visit milkweed.org/our-story.
This person will work closely with the Senior Publicist to develop and implement successful publicity campaigns for the 30 books we publish each year, as well as for the Milkweed Editions brand.
The Publicist will be responsible for publicizing our Seedbank series, in addition to assisting the Senior Publicist with all other titles. To that end, we are seeking an individual with a keen and demonstrated interest in environmental/nature literature, literature from around the world, and works in translation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing publicity campaigns, particularly for Seedbank titles and paperback releases
- Planning, strategizing and managing author tours and all Milkweed events
- Researching media contacts, social media influencers, alternative media outlets, and literary advocates and building publicity lists accordingly
- Managing galley production and coordinating review copy mailings
- Composing effective press releases and other promotional copy
- Managing award submissions
- Maintaining publicity data and updating Milkweed’s website and internal documents with new content
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with authors, reviewers, and other literary influencers
- Collaborating on social media strategy and content production
Ideal candidates will have at least 2-3 years of experience working in book publicity and literary event planning. They are highly organized individuals with strong writing skills, as well as the ability to balance and manage multiple projects at once. Candidates should have a passion for connecting with authors, reviewers, readers, literary advocates, and publishing professionals, as well as the desire to be part of a dynamic team. Candidates should be equally comfortable working with and without supervision to meet goals and think creatively to solve problems.
Preferred skills and experience:
- 2-3 years of experience in book publicity and literary event planning
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of environmental literature, literature from around the world, and works in translation
- Knowledge of contemporary publishing and the diverse media landscape
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and balance a variety of projects at once
- Knowledge of InDesign and/or Canva
- Knowledge of PR database tools and PR data entry
- Knack for generating social media content
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. Salary: $50,000, depending on experience. We are open to both local and remote applicants.
Your cover letter should express your interest in this position and how it aligns with your professional and personal goals, as well as an example of a publicity campaign you’ve managed and implemented. Please also highlight how your skills, background, and experience lend themselves to working on environmental literature and our Seedbank series. Please keep your letter to one or two pages maximum. No emails or phone calls, please.
It is the policy of Milkweed Editions to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a disabled veteran, status with regard to public assistance, or any other protected class recognized by applicable laws.